Friday, February 5, 2016

my object......braille tattoo...... 


"Six dots. Six bumps. Six bumps in different patterns, like constellations, spreading out over the page. What are they? Numbers, letters, words. Who made this code? None other than Louis Braille, a French 12-year-old, who was also blind. And his work changed the world of reading and writing, forever"

 why is this important you may ask? 
Because there are so many people in this world who have no idea how important being able to communicate is, we take the littlest things for granted because we don't realize how much our lives are impacted by them.  Imagine not being able to see and getting multiple surgeries back to back just to be able to see blurred figures...Not being able to say when i grow up i want to be a surgeon or an astronaut or even fight for your own country in one of your military branches...
Not being able to drive to the local movie theater to hang out with some friends.  now i'm not saying that the lives of these people are miserable and that they will never amount to anything because they are disable to do so... because lets be honest that would be a lie. with the proper guidance and perseverance anything is possible.
This is a sore subject when it comes to the family and friends of those who wish they could do these great things but are restricted. they didn't ask for this but they have to learn to live with it. In order to explain to you what my tattoo means to me and how it inspires me i had to explain to you a very small part of being blind or growing up with family members who are blind.  so here we go......I have a tattoo placed under my left arm close to my heart that says "strength" in braille. 
my oldest brother Eddie was born on November 10th, 1985. My mothers first child, her baby boy. what was she to do, what could she do. she was 18 years old on that very day (Nov. 10th) and her only concern was providing the best care for her son. so she did, she never treated any of my brothers any differently, they never had special treatment because of their disability's and got punished like any other child would have. Eddie now lives on his own and works in the medical field not as a surgeon but he works in billing in coding from his home.  
My second oldest brother josh was born on march 26th, 1988, this was going to be different, my mother had a second child with the same disability and she was not going to at least attempt to give him a second chance, so she did her research, she read tons of books and spoke to multiple doctors, my brother had various surgeries in the attempt to correct his vision or at least to improve it and it did, not much but it did. he can see blurred figures and can even use a smart phone as long as the letters are on its biggest font and he looks really closely......but I've always thought that if josh had good vision he would be working at NASA, and it kills me to watch my brothers struggle the way they have not being able to do the things they wish they could, josh has always been a huge fan of the stars in our galaxy and hes fascinated  with anything that has to do with space. needless to say hes a bit of a nerd (: 
The youngest out of the boys and the one closest to me is My brother Brandon born on April 28th, 1992 also "lived" in the hospital getting various surgeries through out his young childhood. my mother spent multiple nights at a time in the hospital sleeping in a chair for the first few months of my brothers lives never leaving their sides and for that she is one of the strongest people i know, shes always been there for all of us and till this day she is always there. when i was born my mother taught me to never judge someone by their appearance and to love everyone even those who are a little different. I grew up watching over my brothers and helping them find things that they couldn't see or read things they couldn't read. now don't get me wrong we grew up fighting just like any group of siblings, bullying each other and even fist fighting but family sticks together no matter what and that's something my mother has always taught me. 
 so  there it is, that's the story behind my tattoo......

8 comments:

  1. That was so touching. I am glad you aren't like some people who judge a book by its cover. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessie that means a lot to me, I just think that instead of putting each other down we should be standing up for each other.

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful! When reading this I could feel your emotion, you have such a huge heart and I can tell by this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this because i can connect with certain words you said. My brother has autism, and it stresses me out to think about the things he can or could be. Being related to someone with a disability of any kind can really impact you, mentally and emotionally. I feel like having a family member with a disability of any kind can make a family so close in such amazing ways. I really loved reading this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you pascha, your right though because it really is a blessing in disguise... My family is most definitely a ride or die kinda bunch despite all of our fights. I'm glad you can relate to my piece there's not many people that I know how can honestly say they understand.

      Delete
  4. Lastenia, you have written from the heart and it is beautiful. Such a compelling story...and such a strong and wise young lady you are. I'm so glad you shared. I can't imagine the pain of seeing the limitations, but here you share joy, too, and you are so wise! Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, I really wanted everyone to understand my object in the best way possible and I hope they do thank you again for the kind words and for taking the time to comment.

    ReplyDelete